The Attorney General, Eric Holder, and his Justice Department have targeted New York City for its next irrational attack on common sense. They are trying to get the City to agree to have taxi owners only purchase wheelchair access taxis from this point on. They claim failure to do so would violate the Americans with Disabilities Act. There are several points in rebuttal to be made here:
- New York City estimates there are only 6,000 people in wheel chairs out of the 8 million people in New York City
- The narrow streets and car parking make it almost impossible for a wheel chaired person to get to the street to get a taxi
- They already have 230 taxis dedicated exclusively for wheelchair bound people in the City roaming the streets looking for wheelchair customers
- The City ran a 2 year test having people in wheelchairs call when they needed transportation and a special equipped cab was dispatched to their site. Over the 2 year period the most calls they had in a day was 15.
- The Mayor points out it makes more sense to dispatch special equipped cabs as necessary rather than have fleets of them driving the streets
Seems to me Holder and his people in Justice might have better things to do with their time like:
- Decide were the terrorist trials will take place
- Find out who was responsible for the “Fast and Furious Scandal”
- Capture and deport illegal aliens
- Stop suing States for passing illegal alien laws and start enforcing them
Or maybe the real reason for the forced taxi sales is the new taxis were being made by General Motors or our new Finnish Car Company
They have to Go!!
2012 is coming!!!!