The Arab League has announced they support a United Nations or United States implementation of a “No Fly Zone” over Libya. It is my belief the Arab League can do the ‘No Fly Zone ” themselves. Let us look at the Facts:
- The Arab Nations have more than sufficient Funds from the sale of Oil to fund the Operation
- The United Arab Emirates could supply several Squadrons of fighter jets. One of US made F 16s and the other the French Mirage fighter.
- The Saudi’s could deploy a couple of F15 squadrons
- The Egyptians have several F16 squadrons in Western Egypt
- The Saudi’s have an AWAC ( US made the plane for Command and Control)
- The Saudi’s have unmanned aircraft for recon operations
- The Saudi’s have refueling Aircraft to support the jets for in air refueling
- The Egyptians and could supply Apache LongBow helicopter Gunships, Blackhawk, and Chinook helicopters for search and rescue missions
- This give the Arab League in excess of 120 aircraft to accomplish the mission
- The Arab states have the Cruise missiles and other smart weapons to take out the Libyan anti – aircraft units
- The Libyan Air Force is made up of aging Cold War Soviet Jets ( SU-22, Mig-21 and Mig-23) , 1 operational Mirage F-1, and some 30 helicopter Gunships.
In short these is no reason, financially or equipment wise the Arab League could not accomplish the ‘No Fly Zone Mission” on their own . At best, the US and European Allies could provide logistical back up as necessary.
If the US jumps into this battle , we need to remember because
2012 is coming!!!!