The Obama Administration is again playing politics with our safety and security. Attorney General Eric Holder still will not publicly announce where the trial for Khalid Sheikh Mohammed (KSM) will take place. As you remember, he is the admitted mastermind behind the attack on the World Trade Center.
Under the Bush Administration, KSM agreed to plead guilty to a Military Tribunal. When the Obama Administration took office, they insisted the trials should be in New York City in a Civilian Court. The Local Officials all said “No” due to their concerns for the safety of local citizens, disruption to life and extreme costs.
Holder said he would rethink this and in last Spring announced he would give his decision for the location of the trial after the November elections. Obama’s political base would not hear of returning the trial to Gitmo and to a Military Tribunal. If they did so, their base might not have voted in November 2010. Politics vs Security and again Politics wins.
It is now after the elections and the following has happened:
- The Democrats took a beating in the election due to unpopular policies
- Trials of other lesser known terrorists in civilian court have led the Judges to throw out evidence they felt came from torture or other illegal methods.
- Since KSM was water boarded, it raises a concern of how much evidence would be ruled inadmissible. In addition, rules of evidence might require the outing of certain individuals that secretly helped the United States. This could put their lives in danger and cut off further valuable information.
- The terrorist has changed his plea from guilty in a Military Tribunal to Not Guilty in a civilian trial.
- Attorney General Holder has again postponed his decision on the trial. He is hinting, according to some published reports, he might postpone the decision until after the 2012 election.
- Another balloon they are floating for reaction is holding KSM indefinitely without trial. This will not go over well on the Left and denies justice to the families from 911.
You might ask why the delay?
- The Public does not want the trials in their localities. The majority support a trial by Military Tribunal
- The Liberal Left, which is the Democratic base for President Obama, will not support any decision that returns the trial to military hands.
- It is my belief, the President and Attorney General are not 100% sure they can win the case under the laws of Civilian Court
If they move the case back to a Military Tribunal in Gitmo or decide to hold him without trial, his base might revolt. They might run another candidate against him, or just not vote. If they go to Civilian Court and lose or have charges lowered due to lack of admissible evidence, it will mobilize the Right and Independents against him.
Their solution, let’s put off the decision until after the 2012 election. At that point he will have been re – elected or lost, and the decision will have no effect on his political future. All this from a man who has stated ” He would rather be a good one term President, than a mediocre two term President.”
Again, Politics vs Security!! Politics wins again and we all lose!!!!
Try the terrorist in a Tribunal at Gitmo. Let’s end this farce and give the 911 families some Justice. Our indecision makes us look weak to the terrorists and the rest of the World.
November 2012 is coming…….